Monday, April 11, 2011

Beginnings.

Henderson's Shooting Star



Here are some words in an attempt to describe the indescribable. Look out! It is an adjective explosion!


We are dreamers, healers, artists, writers, singers, meditators, instrument players, yoga practitioners, travelers, explorers, acrobats, heart-full nurturers, farmer gardeners, students, and teachers

who are inspired, in spirit, vibrant, brilliant, eclectic, well-rounded, interesting, badass, creative, feisty, filled with sparkles, excited about living, learning, and sharing in this pulsing life, like tiny children, carrying the embedded wisdom of grandmamas,

beautiful.

Women who believe that we can inspire change, that we can be the hope of the world. That by being with, eating, communicating and loving plants we can not only nourish our bodies and souls but that of those we love.

And that this magic can radiate outward.


Coming here I was terrifyingly filled with anxiety, but not from fear alone. From a similar fear that I had when embarking on travels to India, a silent knowing that the upcoming experience was going to profoundly change my perspective, forever. The fear that comes from something that I know in my heart is the exact right thing that I ought to be doing in this very moment.


At our intern house we have the most phenomenal herbal library, more herbals than I have ever seen, more than even Powell’s :) I was flipping through a book by Matthew Wood in which he discusses black cohosh and read:

“There is an inherent desire in the human being to “cross the river”: to grow, change, and transform. There is also a fear which holds us to the safety of the known.”

We are held until we are ready to cross. “Fear is tied up with desire. What we want we fear. Crossing the boundaries of our world is an ultimate desire, while doing so is an ultimate fear.”

I have wanted to do this internship for as long as my sweet lovely friend Kelli Mae told me about it. It represents so much of how I want to live in this life. Yet, it is scary to dive into the exact thing that I have wanted for so long, farming, gardening, growing, cultivating, making my own medicine from the earth and wildcrafting my daily salad. Questions of self-doubt mixed with hopes of grandeur filled my mind before my arrival. And now I know that Now is the time for my river crossing.

I am blessed. I am full of gratitude. And I am saying thank you each day to the plants, to the wild turkeys, geese, and songbirds, to this space, to these women, to the Herb Pharm and all of the incredible folks that enable this process. Thank you.


Check it out, if you’d like.

http://herb-pharm.com/herbaculture.html


No comments: