Monday, April 11, 2011

Hazel.


You can visualize me being the one on the left.


Today, I am Hazel. Meaning, I am the house mommy, the “sweet little old lady” who gets up before all others, has breakfast on the table as everyone awakes. I clean and cook b-fast and dinner for my 13 ladies on their first day of working in the fields. And...I get the whole house to myself...wooohooooo. We all take turns doing this for one another and our teachers are super protective over this job, it ain’t easy finding alone time when you live in a house with 13 other women. And that means that when I am working someone will cook breakfast when I awake and dinner when I return from the fields! So awesome. Like a 1950’s housewife, only we each have 13 wives and the stay-at-home mom rotates. I am the first Hazel on the first day of work, so I went down to the fields to meet the 7 other field and landscape workers (6 burly men, 1 burly lady) and to get a lesson on how to properly shovel, move a wheel barrow, lift things, and use a hula hoe all while loving your back! It really is kind of a hilarious sight, me giggling silently. These burly dudes who do farm work on the daily teaching us cute (and badass) young women with some to no farm experience how to work it. We’re pretty rad. After the demos, I quietly made my exit. It was just like ditching school on the first day, only I kind of wanted to stay to have solidarity with my ladies. So my lovelies are out there weeding the heck out of the echinacea fields while I am cleaning house, eradicating a flying ant population, studying herbs and making notecards, harvesting some wild plants for salad fixings and writing some words to ya’ll. And I have got to say, it is pretty freaking awesome. I love my life.




oh, here is a far better picture. This is more like it.





2 comments:

Luke Closs said...

#like

Steven said...

There should be more space for people then infastructure maintainer. People are happier with out caste systems. I suppose its not so true there has to be something for all the fairheigts to fit in.